Thursday 10 November 2011

another dark poem!

My younger daughter always questions me as to why I write such dark poems when I am a happy person! The answer is that sometimes they just happen! This one came when I saw my own shadow but felt it had its own form apart from me.


shadows bleed over my feet and into
my heart , as I walk the path home.

grey shapes seep around me
as fears  take form -
they accompany  me, face me,
below, in front,
in the cracked spaces.
I see them.
as they vanish,
reappearing  in different places
caught between the fading light .
Somewhere they are real,
 I could touch them,
suck them in and taste them
as they chill my veins.

A sudden light, a curtain opens
and they are gone; only I know
they are there - always behind me
they have strangled my own shadow
and taken its place,
inseparable,
engorging
me.

No comments:

Post a Comment